Stuck with writing your research paper? That is not a problem at all! With basic research paper writing steps and rules, you will find that producing this type of work can be interesting and even easy. Whether you are a college or university student, a solid amount of your time will be spend on writing research papers, dissertations, course works, term papers, essays, etc.
Help with Writing Research Papers
Firstly, you will have to think what topics interest you. Do not forget, the chosen theme should meet the criteria for your assignment. Topics tend to be responsive to research. Ensure that it is specific.
Find trustworthy material for the research. Decide where are you going to find relevant data? It is better to check bookstores, libraries, conduct interviews and use the Internet, periodicals and encyclopedias.
- Start your research. Search primary for reliable and pertinent info.
- The first step in writing your paper is making an outline. An outline will help you to properly organize your work in a logical order. Moreover, an outline will help you to get a feel how to organize your thoughts and ideas.
- Start the rough draft. Collect all relevant info, provide strong evidence to support your point of view.
- Grab the interest of your reader. Instead of presenting your topic to the audience in the first sentence, try to write an unusual quote or fact to hook your reader.
- Paraphrase thoughts and facts you collect, cite sources from which they came. You are obliged to make footnotes of quotations used in your paper.
- Step back after some period of time, review what you have written.
- Re-read and edit your paper, be critical. Check all spelling and grammar problems. If you see that some points are incomplete, go back and gather more material. If possible, give your research paper to someone who is strong in academic writing, preferably familiar with research paper assignment, let someone look at the work with fresh eyes.
- Write “Works Cited”. No academic paper is completed without a “Works Cited”. Here you have to list main data you gathered about your sources. Keep your format simple.
How to Avoid Plagiarism in Your Research Paper
As you may already know, plagiarism is a serious crime. To avoid it, stick to the basic steps.
- Any time you borrow someone’s idea, cite a source.
- Properly paraphrase. Your rewritten phrase should not be too original and similar.
Good research writing skills require proper training. Check your work for the main principles of perfect writing. Give answers on the following questions:
- Do the particular topic relate to the central assignment question?
- What facts need more evidence and reorganization?
- Are paragraphs grammatically correct?
- Does the research paper follow the required format? MLA?APA?
Did you consult with your teacher?